Goal setting is not only the trendiest thing since sliced bread, but it’s also an essential component for growth both personally and professionally. The problem is that so few people are actually setting goals properly. Therefore, most aren’t achieving the level of success they’d desire. A quick scroll through Instagram and you’ve got endless reminders of the failed attempts and the ones that you’re currently falling short on. Here’s the thing though, you were never likely to succeed if your goals have no foundation.
Foundation is everything.
In this case, the foundation is your vision. Your goals should be stepping stones getting you one step closer to the vision of your ideal life. If you have no idea what your ideal life looks like then isn’t it a bit insane to expect these goals to magically motivate you into crushing them? The correct answer here is hell yes!
Goal setting and staying in line with the goals you’ve set isn’t always easy, and there are often times distractions that throw you off track. Having a vision is like having the ultimate road map. If you’re going on a trip and you know your destination is going to be your dream adventure, you’re not going to get discouraged by every bump in the road or distracted by every shiny object off the highway.
Tips to dial in your vision
- Break it up into four categories; family, faith, finance, and fitness. Then brainstorm for each individually.
- Remember that this is YOUR vision. It’s might not be what your family wants, or your spouse. At this moment this vision is only yours and it’s important to keep true to whatever you truly desire.
- Once the brainstorming is done, summarize each category with a view vision statements. These will help keep you on track when you’re feeling overwhelmed by a goal.
- Once you set a new goal that is in line with your vision, jot down 1-3 habits that will help you achieve the goal.
- Remember that your visions for your life are constantly evolving. You are never locked into a previous vision. You just have to make the decision to change it.
I’ve got a free guide to help you navigate your vision and create goals that actually make sense! You’ll find it here.